23 Sep 2013


Pakistan won their second successive match at the 3rd Sultan of Johor Cup when they came from a goal down to defeat England 6-2 at the Taman Daya Hockey Stadium in Johor Baru.


It was a comprehensive display of both attacking hockey and a disciplined defence that netted all three points for Pakistan.

They had defeated Korea 3-0 in the first match and are sitting pretty on top before the remaining matches later in the day.

"We are naturally happy with the win and even though we were behind after a few minutes, i knew my players will not let that affect their game," said Manzoor Hassan.

"Our defence was under pressure in the closing minutes but withstood the test and that is heartening. We made use of the chances we created anbd our penalty corners proved effective."

It was the second successive defeat for England who were beaten 2-1 by India on Sunday and they squandered nine penalty corners as they only scored from one, while Pakistan netted two from the four they were awarded.

"Although we had nine penalty cornerrs but scored one, we are thankful that we created the nine and that augurs well from our attacking satistics, "said England coach Jonathan Bleby.

"I am not perturbed by the defeat as it is a learning mission and I believe we will gain a lot from here."

England took the lead in the 5th minute as Richard Gail broke on the left and evaded the attention of Muhammad Khalid to send a piledriver crashing into the boards, catching keeper Mazhar Abbas off guard.

Pakistan were stunned and they had most of the possession but England held the lead. And the Green Shirts then got their act together, attacking through the flanks, stretching the English defence.

And they were duly rewarded as Mohammad Tousiq converted their first penalty corner in the 10th minute to make it all square.

England showed that they too were deadly in the penalty corner department as Luke Taylor scored in the 15th minute to give England a 2-1 lead.

However Pakistan were undeterred and once again it was a penalty corner that got them an equaliser as Tousiq sent a low flick crashing into the boards with keeper Jay Gibson beaten all the way.

Just as the match appeared to end in a draw for the fisrt half, Pakistan scored their third. A reverse stick hit by Mohammad Khasif Javed was deflected into goal by Muhammad Dilber just as the halftime hooter went.

The umpire Kim Jeong Yong awarded the goal as the final whistle was not blown, despite strong protests from the English players.

England almost drew level but the upright denied Phillip Roper in the 49th minute.

Pakistan were fortunate to be awarded the fourth goal as umpire gave Ayub Ali the advantage after the ball had been played into his body by England keeper Jay Gibson in the 54th minute. Ayub duly scored from close range.

Muhammad Suleman scored a stunning goal in the 62nd minute to make it 5-2 with Dilber scoring a minute from time to cmplete the rout.


Read 2759 times Last modified on Monday, 23 September 2013 11:00
Rate this item
(11 votes)